It’s super simple and just bucket loads of flavour and comfort as we transition into Autumn. So as always I have the recipe for you
To feed 4 you will need:
6 pieces of deboned and descaled hake (very NB to make sure there are no bones or scales coz the last thing you want is an emergency room trip)
Half a medium onion
3 medium tomatoes
Curry powder of your desired heat
1.chop onion, tomatoes and heat oil
2. Once oil is hot reduce to a medium heat then add the chopped onion, liberal turmeric,cumin,paprika and curry powder and let it fry for about 5 minutes.
3. Now add your chopped tomatoes and 2 teaspoons of sugar and continue to fry until the tomatoes soften and create a sauce, then add fish spice
4. The mixture will start to slightly reduce as it thickens so add some water but just enough to maintain the sauce and mildly submerge the hake, reduce to a low heat and leave for another coupla minutes.
5. Chop the hake into bite size pieces and get rid of any excess bones or scales which always seem to find their way in- stay vigilant!
6. Add your bite size pieces of hake ensure they are somewhat submerged in the sauce then let cook for about 7 – 10 minutes. You’ll know it’s cooked when the skin starts to pull back a bit and the flesh is firm.
7. Switch stove off but allow to sit for a further 15 minutes so as to allow the flavour a to soak through the hake pieces.
8. Then serve, we had it with a fragrant thyme rice but it really is up to you what you have it with you might even try a nice buttery naan.