So the weather is now obviously changing and there is definitely a decided chill in the air as Autumn (yes Autumn not Winter just yet) makes its presence felt a lot more. One of my favourite things to make and I’m sure a lot of people’s favourite things to eat is soup. Now my most favourite vegetable in the whole world is broccoli and anyone who knows me will tell you I have a most strange obsession with it. In fact a good friend of mine once suggested that I may have an iron deficiency and that that is why I was craving it so much, worth consideration except that would mean I’ve been lacking in iron for over a decade now… In any forms I love broccoli; in rice, in creamy pastas, on its own or in soup I’ll lap it all up.
So on this chilly Autumn day I have decided to warm myself up with a creamy broccoli and Boerekaas soup, I strongly suggest you try it cause it is super simple and a guaranteed crowd pleaser! Here’s what you’ll need
1 medium sized pot/ sauce pan
1 punnet of broccoli
Half a cup grated Boerekaas cheese
2 cubes Vegetable stock
Artisan bread of your choice
1. Roughly chop the onion any way you want, then pour a small amount of oil into the saucepan /pot and heat on medium heat . Once oil is hot add the chopped onion to fry and slightly colour you dont want them to be too brown.
2. Break the brocoli florets up into small pieces and add to the fried onions, add vegetable stock and water so it just covers the broccoli to cook for about 20mins.
3. After the brocoli has now sofened take a a hand held food processor to pulverise and blend the broccoli and onion.
4. Once reasonably smoothe you add the 250ml of cream to thicken and cook for a further 15 minutes. Add in the grated Boerekaas cheese and let in marry for another 5-7 minutes.
5. And then voila it is ready, crack a bit of black pepper over the soup after pouring into a bowl, tear/ cut off a piece of bread and enjoy the deliciously flavourful and decadent treat.