So this is my second attempt at blogging this recipe, after I was ready to publish the first time when i refreshed my page it turned out cyber gremlins had got hold of my post and only saved the intro! So here we go again, hopefully i’ll post this before midnight- second time’s a charm!
I have had a lasagne craving that’s now spanned 2 months without satisfaction, despite many (although not very energetic) attempts at satisfying it. So yesterday I decided ok lets now just get serious about this and just actually make it myself. I was so excited I spent the whole day pretty much visualising the yellowy, slightly crusted, cheesy tomatoey goodness oozing onto my plate and into my mouth. And after many of these mouth watering moments I got serious and went to the stores to buy the necessary ingredients for this delicious comfort food. So I thought I’d blog my particular recipe which (as with most Tulip’s recipes) isn’t exactly traditional but still bursting with yumminess! So keep reading and see how to make it and hopefully try make your own at home!
You will need:
- Pot or pan
- Oven proof lasagne dish
- Spinach Pasta Sheets
- Mince Meat
- Oil (any)
- 1 Onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Fresh basil
- Dried rosemary
- BBQ seasoning
- 1 and a 1/2 block of chicken stock
- 1 packet Brown onion soup
- 1 packet cheese sauce
- Cheddar cheese
How to Make It:
1. Chop onions, garlic and tomatoes….separately of course.
2. In a pot or pan of your preference add oil and fry onions and garlic together for about 5 minutes on a medium heat. Add Mince meat, BBQ seasoning and 1 block of chicken stock, cook until nicely browned and aromatic for about 15 minutes
3. Add your tomatoes and fresh basil, now you here you can use your own discretion as to how much basil you want to put in, however I have yet to hear anyone complain about too much basil 🙂 Then add the dried rosemary, remaining half block of chicken stock and brown onion soup. For the brown onion soup empty half the contents into a mug then add cold water so it fills half the mug and mix until diluted. Once the soup mixture is ready you can throw it into the rest of the mince meat mixture and let it cook for another 15mins on a low heat. At this point the tomatoey mince meat should look like this
4. While you wait for the mince meat, submerge your spinach pasta sheets in water for about 7 minutes, the reason I use the spinach sheets is because i just feel they add a more robust flavour to the lasagne also because SPINACH!! Nuff said. Grate your 2 cheeses and then make your creamy cheese sauce. You can make your own sauce but, if like most people you don’t have the time, you can just buy a packet mixture.
5. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celcius
6. Lightly grease your oven proof lasagne dish and tile your first layer of pasta sheets, then layer about half the tomato and basil mince meat, then add about half the cheese sauce evenly over the mince. Repeat the layering with the remaining ingredients then close with another tiled layer of pasta sheets, the remaining cheese sauce and your 2 cheeses.Cover with foil.
7. Pop into the oven for 45 mins which, incidentally is also enough to have a glass of vino while you wait 😉
8. 40 mins later take the foil off and leave the lasagne in the oven set on grill for the last 5 mins, this is so the edges can form a beautiful golden crust as the rest of the now gooey cheese bubbles and sizzles on your lasagne. And there you have it friends, serve up and enjoy.
You’ll be forgiven if you insist on more than one serving of this one, yes, it’s that good! 😉